Thursday, August 11, 2016

to Boston July 7-8, 2016

It has taken me awhile to get this posted!
my summer time hop across the continent
but better late than never!
I had an early morning flight from Vancouver-followed by a Canada Line trip from home

I got lucky and had an  empty seat next to me and caught up on my movie watching until we landed in Newark.  Somehow I was randomly given a 4S on my boarding pass and spent an hour waiting for a female agent and then having to be frisked and x-rayed and having all my belongings gone through in my suitcase.  I had a small taste of what it must feel like to be treated like a criminal when you are totally innocent.  And this was my first flight since I got a NEXUS pass!
but we did land in Boston
and made it to our hotel where Donna said we had to try Boston Cream Pie!
Our view from the Sheraton wasn't exactly stellar nor was the weather-cold and cloudy
but the stuffed lobsters in a store between our hotel and the adjacent convention centre couldn't help but cheer us up!
and then we were off on a hop on hop off tour.  It was Donna's first trip to Boston.  I had been before but my class trip was a day here in 1987!
I think that is the Charles River above
and above is MIT
It is always a little tricky taking pictures out of buses!
eventually we reached Boston Commons and proceeded on foot!

We toured the Park Street Church




then went into the Common

We liked the carousel!

but we were on a mission
so to the Boston Public Garden we went which is adjacent to the Commons
Here you can see the statues of the ducks from Make Room for Ducklings 
I love the picture below as real ducklings seem to be looking at one of the swan boats just like in the book!
Right across from the park is the bar and restaurant that inspired the popular TV show, Cheers
So this is where we had lunch

and then we were back on the bus
after our overview of Boston we were back to the hotel and soon were walking to Fenway Park for a Red Sox game.  We passed a firehall along the way and had a friendly fireman pose for us!
It was a neat walk

and soon we were approaching the stadium

I want to give you a bit of the taste of the atmosphere!
Donna was in pursuit of a particular Red Sox purse but she didn't find the right one!
Here's the park before the game had begun
We took an elevator up to a bar where they was supposed to be a gathering of people from the International Literacy Association convention.  We were impressed by the fact our young elevator operator was reading!
We met a few interesting characters

We were surrounded by enthusiastic fans and no doubt, other tourists
and here we are at the game

I confess I am not a big baseball fan but it was definitely an experience to be here so I will share a few more video clips!  We became instant David Ortiz fans
It was fun to see fans of all ages and participate in the song rituals!
And of course we enjoyed this familiar song in the right setting!

and Donna made me stay to the very end and happily the Red Sox defeated Tampa Bay!
So as you can see
we had a great time our first day in Boston…Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment