Saturday, February 14, 2015

Flying to Rio

For the last few months the farthest I have been is Seattle and since I happen to kind of love where I live despite the rain, that's okay, but as of Tuesday, that all changes.  That evening I will be meeting my friend, Val, and we will be flying from Toronto to Rio de Janeiro.


When Val phoned me in September to ask me if I would be interested in going on this trip with her, I told her I would think about it, and then I have to admit the first images I had were from the movie, Flying Down to Rio.  When I was a child I used to love to watch those old movies, old even then, on TV, and I imagine that one was particularly appealing in the midst of a Quebec winter.

So despite the stretch on my budget it didn't take me long to say, Yes!  So here is our itinerary! 


And here's a bit more information…Taken from the cruise ship information


COPACABANA TO BISCAYNE BAY

Reinvigorate with nine luxurious days at sea mingled with colonial cities, an Amazon marketplace, pristine beaches and English gardens. Before we sail, relax with a caipirinhaon one of Rio’s famous beaches, then head out for an evening of samba and bossa nova. Don’t miss the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Pelourinho, a colorful colonial town of museums, shops and restaurants, and Olinda, a beautiful 16th century town filled with churches and convents. Sail sixty miles inland for a taste of life at the mouth of the Amazon River and the huge local marketplace at Belem. In Ile Royale, tender ashore to the infamous French penal colony at Devil’s Island. Bridgetown is a genteel contrast with its upscale shops, beautiful beaches, rum factories and English gardens. On Virgin Gorda, swim among the giant stone Baths.


We will be travelling on a rather luxurious ship, the Amazara Club Journey. Anyway I am getting excited!  I have been trying to learn a bit of Brazilian Portuguese with various language apps.  I am thinking back to those snowy afternoons watching old movies.  Right now I have on Road to Rio with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamarr.  I know that the reality will be quite different than these old movies but I hope to take you along on my adventures.  So you can always follow this blog!  Anyway I think I will send you out with a bit of a dance routine from Flying Down To Rio!  


No comments:

Post a Comment